Monday, September 29, 2008

The First Hours

Monday January 9th, 2006, was the first day back at school after Christmas break. Indira took Melodina to the doctor on the way to school. Mel saw Shelburne's only doctor and continued on to Centre Dufferin District High School. After classes she took the school bus home to the bottom of our street in Hornings Mills. The next day, Tuesday, I drove Melodina to school and then headed to Blue Mountain for a day of skiing.

Indira picked Melodina up after school and drove her to hospital for chest x-rays then home. In the meantime I was enjoying a day on the slopes. When I came into the chalet to change and prepare to drive home I discovered that my bag and all belongings in it were missing. I gave an official report to the resort's security and was told several people had had their possessions taken that day.

Included in the lost items were my cell phone and my car keys. I needed a ride home. I knew Indira would come and get me so I called home - collect. My mother answered the phone and told me Indira was not there. "Do you know what happened to Melodina?" she asked. I thought about it for several seconds and replied that I knew Melodina had gone for a chest x-ray that afternoon. My Mom said "Melodina is in the hospital." I didn't know whether she would be in the Selburne "hospital" where the doctor's office and the medical laboratory was or the larger Headwaters Hospital in Orangeville. When I enquire my 83 year old Mom said "Oh James, Its hard enough for me to remember that she's in the hospital. I have no idea which one."

There I was, no car keys, my daughter was in a hospital somewhere. My wife was with her. I felt helpless, alone, confused and perhaps just a little guilty that I had enjoyed my day while I could have been helping with more serious events. The first thing to do was calm down and think clearly. I was in a pickle and needed to discover solutions quickly.

It's hard to meditate when in a large public ski chalet. I bought a cup of hot chocolate, sat down and tried to think meditatively. Slowly sipping my chocolate and going over the events of the day I remembered that I had left my credit card, driver's licence and other cards in the car. At least they weren't stolen I thought hopefully. Then it came to me. I had a key to the car door. It wouldn't work in the ignition. When it was made I was warned never to use it to start the car or the computer system that keeps the vehicle going would fail. The key should be in a container magnetically held under the car in a wheel well.

Hoping with all my hope I walked out to the parking lot. Somewhat fearfully I reached under the wheel well and pulled my hand back dirty with road slime and holding a small metal box. It was corroded and filthy with dirt from the road but after several trys the lid slid open and a brand new, clean key came into view. I opened the car door and the alarm went off. Since I didn't have the proper manufacturer's key I couldn't turn the alarm off. I quickly grabbed my wallet with my cards and shut and locked the door. The alarm continued to alert anyone in the vicinity that something was not right. Trying to appear calm and innocent I sauntered slowly back toward the chalet.

Eventually, I got a taxi and drove to the local chrysler dealer. I was too late in the day to get a new key made. I rented a car with my credit card and drove home. Mom was doing well on her own. Indira had phoned Janet Archer in Kitchener, my mother said. She was on her way to care for her. Janet is a friend of many years and a wonderful soul who looked after elderly people in their homes before she retired. She helped us often those first few weeks. Without Janet we would not have been able to stay with Melodina in Toronto. She's a saint and I'm grateful for her selfless service.

Then it was onto the Shelburne Hospital. The search for Melodina and Indira began in earnest.

No comments: