Monday, November 17, 2008

Ski Coaching

Melodina attended a coaches meeting at Mansfield, the resort she hopes to work at this winter. Everyone was wonderful and treated us well although I'm sure that many wondered what the girl with the cane and surgical mask was doing there. It was a struggle for Mel but another step along her road to health.

The battle to get up the stairs to the second floor meeting room was a momentous step forward in Melodina's war. With her cane on one side and the railing on the other she pulled herself up one step at a time. With the final two steps in front of her it was clear that she had reached her absolute limit in stair climbing ability. Mel handed me her cane and before I could take her arm she grabbed the railing with both hands and pulled and pulled until she was standing on the next step with both feet. Then her arms encircled the top post of the railing and with a mighty heave she landed, on her feet, at the top of the long staircase, a smile in her eyes. I had just witnessed a great victory and I had tears of joy and pride at my daughter's accomplishment in my eyes.

This victory is all the greater because Melodina had been un-hooked from her intravenous tubing only two hours earlier. We sat through the staff training including a video aimed at teens and young adults on safety and the value of life and limb. It is a lesson Melodina has learned well. After the mandatory part of the session there was a fire drill. We were the last ones to leave the building. I left Melodina on a bench outside and went in to gather out things. She was exhausted and we decided to leave.

I gathered up our bags and papers and headed outside only to find Melodina walking around. I was amazed. I said I'd get the car. Melodina continued to walk around. She went back into the chalet to look at an equipment display. After ordering some gloves for me and mitts for Mel we headed back outside, into the car and home. Melodina slept for a couple of hours before walking out to the car through the ice and snow. I had not been home to shovel the drive or walkway. We returned to the hospital where and a day of successes ended by being hooked back up to IV and receiving her anti viral drugs. Melodina plans on skiing within the next seven weeks!!!

No comments: