Friday, June 12, 2009

Ambassador

The Sears National Kids Cancer Ride has asked if Indira and I would honor Melodina by allowing them to use her and her story as an "Ambassador". We gladly agreed. I have filled out the ambassador form as if I was Melodina speaking. The following are two questions and the answers as I believe Melodina would have answered them.

Ques: "Tell us what Coast to Coast Against Cancer means to me."

Ans: "I met several National Riders last year as my father rode with them into Sick Kids. I was in my wheelchair and my mother wheeled me over to the community event. I had to wear a mask to protect myself and I was too weak to walk.

"At the community event I met the president of Sears Canada. He asked me to ride with him this year. My plan was to be strong enough to ride in a regional ride with him and my father. Because of this the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride helped me focus my goals and helped give me courage to find my strength during the last months of my life.

"I also dedicated myself to raising funds and encouraging others to raise funds for childhood cancer research. My hope is that events like the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride will lead to a future where no children have to suffer what I suffered and what I saw others go through."

Ques: "Tell us what our message is to our riders, volunteers, sponsors and all Canadians."

Ans: "My watchwords are "strength" and "courage". We will win this battle as long as we continue to fight it together. The children need you. They are inspired and gain strength and courage from your efforts. Thank you."

Mel's sister Harmony has also become and Ambassador for the ride. She has agreed to do anything she can that's "not on a bicycle". I understand Harmony will be greeting and talking to people at a community event in Toronto on June 20th. Indira will be there as will my Uncle Bill. If you like we would like you to come to. I will give you more details (time and place) when I get them.

Our whole family is working to relieve the suffering of children with cancer. I am truly blessed to have such an incredible group of people around me.

No comments: