Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Prayer

I am cleaning out my home office after over a year at the hospital with Melodina. I have certainly found some interesting, sometimes emotional memories. The following is a prayer I found, undated and written in my mother's handwriting. It seemed to have a very profound effect on me and I thought I would share in the hope that someone reading it would find that it touched their life.

My Mother’s Prayer

Lord help us to look outside the ghetto of self, to perceive other human persons and to choose – however tentatively – to relate to them at levels of humanness. May we decide that certain things in the world, including love and justice, matter even more than our own lives and commit ourselves to them. May we continue to give love and receive joy in resolving to serve and not just in being served.
Teach us when to act in support of the oppressed; Teach us why we have to act; Teach us to be clear for whom we will act; Teach us where to act; Teach us how to act and give us courage to move out for you.
Oh Lord, Help us, not only with a reorganization of society but a fundamental reordering of priorities that sets being above having; Sharing above possessing; Creativity above manipulation; and joy above anything.
Amen

The above prayer was written by Ethel Patricia Herman in Winnipeg – date unknown

No comments: